Web programming creates reliable and effective websites for internet (WORLD WIDE WEB) or private network (intranet). Mostly focus on the usability of the website rather than design. The website mainly focuses on design, called static website while the interactive one is dynamic website. It takes a minimum one web programmer to develop a static website, while the dynamic website such as business website sometimes in consist hundreds of programmers. Web programmers are the person dedicated generally on the server-side scripting. The server-side scripting is a process of interpreting the user/client request to the web server, also it manipulates and limit the user access, in other words it serve as a security in a web server.
Tools and website technologies contribute to the rapid evolution of web programming. As a traditional process of executing code from local computer, the web programming gives the privilege to run the program online. This process opens a new door in the communication world and allows many opportunities to user/client. E-commerce had remarkable changes as the result of communication led by web programming and web development. One of the best examples is the online bidding site such as eBay, it change the ways on how consumer purchase good and service. E-commerce is one of the reasons why website programming grows rapidly. The other factor that can be considered in lifting the web programming to its popularity is the open source software’s, An example of open source tool is LAMP, a software bundle of Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. Another factor is the easy to use web programming software such as Adobe Dream Weaver, Microsoft Expression Studio and WebDev. Anyone can develop a basic website using that software, but still basic knowledge in HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is required.
DOES HTML (HyperText Markup Language) IS REQUIRED AND IMPORTANT FOR WEB PROGRAMMING?
For beginners this is very common question, sometimes use as introduction on a class, anyway answer me “no, it is not required” if you are in this situation:
- I have a best friend, brother or sister that, I can rely in checking my HTML code.
- I have powerful software that has Intelli-senses and template generator so I don’t need to mess up my fingers with html code.
- Internet is my bed, so basically I have a collection of website that offer free html download.
But if you are serious and have an ambition to be a great website programmer you should hug the basic building block of that website, and you should answer this question as ”I love you html”.
HOW DOES THE WEB PROGRAMMING WORK?
You should create a normal html page and insert or embed some script, like example below
<p>the current date is <?php date(“M-d-Y H:i”); ?></p>
Your HTML page will parse or read line by line by the web server, this process will engage when the html page was access through browser. Always remember that the execution of web site is hierarchical or from top to bottom. When the web server across the programming language code (that is the line with
<?php), it will execute the code. Thus the example given has line of PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) code has a function of showing the current date with the format of Month - day – year hours : minutes. The current date and time will wrote in the web page, then it send back to the user’s browser.
How it becomes dynamic? By your observation, it is just a normal web page, but when this web page reloads in different time or date, you’ll notice the date and time will change without any code modification, that how it becomes dynamic.
WEB PROGRAMMING IS GOOD FOR?
Website programming is like a fairy god mother that transforms static html to dynamic. Static website, users are only viewing it or in other words, what you see is what you get. While dynamic website allows the user to interact with it, for example the social networking website and the website embed with games. Also web programming is responsible for online transactions; it cut the miles of distance of sellers and the buyers.
THE DIFFERENT WEBSITE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
Static website programming languages
- HTML – HyperText Markup Language.
- CSS - Cascading Style Sheet – serve as the dress of html, it define the style or how the html should display.
- XML - Extensible Markup Language is a markup language, xml document is readable by human and machine because xml define series of policy for encoding the documents. Over the internet is the emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability and that is the goal of XML.
Server side script
- PHP - Hypertext Preprocessor is a open source server side scripting language use for interactive website, almost 244 million website are using it, very competent to Microsoft's ASP.
- ASP – Active Server Page other term is Classic ASP or ASP Classic. The first server side script engine of Microsoft.
- JSP – Java server page, release by Sun Microsystems in 1999, it help the software developer to create dynamically web page base on HTML and XML.
TOOLS NEEDED FOR WEB PROGRAMMING
First of all you should have XAMPP install into your pc, it is consist Apache HTTP Server, MySQL database, and it interprets and compile the script written PERL and PHP, XAMPP allow the web programmer to have localhost to test their program to their own computer. I don’t recommend using the WYSIWYG, rather use notepad++ to help you to familiarize the syntax and codes.
Thank you for reading my simple introduction of web programming